Toxicity & Negativity

Ever heard the saying ‘you are who you surround yourself with’? I didn’t believe it until it happened to me, It sounds silly right? Surely you are whoever you want to be and people shouldn’t change you as a person. You are in control of your own life. Wrong. The people around you have a huge influence on the person you become, your success and your daily mood, if you are surrounded by sad, negative, non motivated people otherwise known as toxic, how are you meant to be happy and successful the two just don’t work. For example when I was in high school, if my friends were sad or having boy issues, it always reflected on me, I soon found myself in the same situations without knowing, this always brings people together because you can relate. How is a positive person and a happy person meant to get along? Theres no connection simply because if you are feeling down about something you don’t want to hear all the great things about someone else’s life. This tends to have a big impact on positive people because if that person you surround yourself with isn’t succeeding then you almost feel as if you shouldn’t be and vice a versa!

Towards the end of last year I went from a happy, positive, motivated person who had a lot of goals and really wanted to succeed in a lot of things to someone who was very sad and stressed. I then started putting all my time and energy into something very negative so my goals took a back seat. I was lucky to realise this very early on and managed to change the situation after it had sunk it how much a small change in my life made to my personality and the person I was becoming.

Please surround yourself with good people, you don’t need negative people in your life and if they aren’t supporting you then you shouldn’t be supporting them. I’d rather be alone than with someone that brings me down. It’s your life after all and you have to make it a bloody good one. Friends really aren’t as important as you might think, so if they aren’t making you happy you’ll do just fine with out them.

Chlo xo

1. 26th July 2017 / 2:09 pm

This post really reached me Chlo, I’ve just let one toxic person out of my life and despite the handful of guilt here, I’m feeling so much better for it. Love Casey xo http://casestreet.blogspot.co.uk

27th July 2017 / 2:41 pm

I’m so happy you removed that person from your life, you shouldn’t feel guilty, it’s impossible to be happy if you are surrounded by toxic people

much love x

2. 19th March 2017 / 12:45 pm

This post really struck a chord with me, Chloe! A few years ago I became closer friends with a very negative person within my friend group and I didn’t realise how much it impacted upon me until afterwards! I became a lot more apathetic and withdrawn, almost forgetting who I was and how I really liked to spend my time! Their negatively totally consumed me! Your post is so valuable and such great advice! Thanks for sharing!

Abbey ?

20th March 2017 / 12:14 pm

Thanks for your comment! Nice to know you related! It’s so easy to get caught up with a negative person and almost forget who you really are and what you enjoy doing! Definitely a learning curve and something I’m now cautious of! xx

3. 16th March 2017 / 2:48 pm

I used to surround myself with people who quite frankly made me feel shit about myself and it has a massive impact on my health. When I ‘binned the toxic people’ from my life I felt like a weight had been lifted off my shoulders x

4. olivia
    9th March 2017 / 7:32 pm

love this its so true they really do impact on your mood massively!

5. 6th March 2017 / 7:38 am

I couldn’t have said it better myself. Unfortunately I have found myself surrounded by these types of people for the last six months however this year I plan to do something about it. Thanks for reminding me with this post!

6th March 2017 / 2:37 pm

Now worries, I surrounded myself with these people too but it only took one person to really make me realise how much people were taking a toll on me! x

6. 2nd March 2017 / 11:03 pm

This is so true I’m glad you realised life is too short to be unhappy!

7. 2nd March 2017 / 11:15 am

This is so true. I’ve met so many people (including myself) who have had toxic friendships or relationships which they felt they couldn’t let go of for various reasons. The people around us have such a profound effect on us and our wellbeing. Thank you for writing and sharing this 🙂 xx

2nd March 2017 / 12:01 pm

Thanks for your comment! Glad other people agree and have also experienced this! You definitely learn from it though!xx

8. 1st March 2017 / 10:22 am

Great advice Chloe, you are who you surround yourself with and it’s so important to know when it’s time to move on.

Brilliant post 🙂

Holly x

9. Harriet
    26th February 2017 / 12:30 pm

I agree with everything you said! Surrounding yourself with positivity is what makes you feel better.

10. 26th February 2017 / 12:29 pm

I completely agree with you on this! Distancing myself from toxic and negative people has really helped me too in the past year! 🙂 x

27th February 2017 / 9:33 am

It really makes a difference, glad you made that change to make yourself happier! x