Winter Blooms

We are now fully into autumn and although I’m trying to enjoy it as it is my favourite time of year, it definitely comes with it’s struggles. As the evenings get darker and I work the classic 9 to 5 job (I actually start at 8:30 to be exact) I’m only ever home when its dark and when the suns actually out I’m shut away in an office. Any blogger or photographer will know how hard this is to produce content when you’re so restricted to natural light. Now may be a good time to invest in some lighting but for now I’ve come up with a routine that seems to be working for me.

Just before I go to work I manage to capture enough light in my room, this does mean waking up half an hour earlier than usual which I’ve been happy to sacfrice to stay on top of my blog. I usually wake up just after 7, I get ready for work and set up my area. At about half 7 the light starts coming through, theres no bright sun which is great because you don’t want shadows. So I have about half an hour to take some photos which is long enough for me if I’ve prepared what products and props I’m using. I adjust the lighting so it’s nice and bright but not over exposed , I don’t really have set settings as it always changes but I always use manual. The camera I use is the Canon 700d, I do recommend a DSLR for all photography but I know many bloggers that use their iPhones or more compact cameras like the Panasonic CSC Camera which work just as well. Lighting is the most important thing for your content, you don’t want images to be over exposed but they need to be bright and not grainy.

Aside from autumn and winter affecting my blog it also can affect my mood, this is extremely common and most people refer to it as the winter blues but I’ve recently discovered the proper term for it is SAD (Seasonal affective disorder). Even though a/w is a lot of peoples favourite time of year I can completely understand why so many people suffer with SAD around this time. The days are getting shorter and people are loosing motivation to complete day to day chores. I’m sure no one looks forward to getting out of a nice cosy bed and going to work in icy dark weather.

Currently I’m not doing so bad, I’ve still got motivation and I’m trying to spend my time out of work as wisely as I can. Going for walks is a great way of getting out of the house and I always feel motivated and good about myself after. If you work full time you can go outside on your lunch break or sitting by a window helps a lot, my office is tiny but luckily it has a large window that lets in a lot of light so I don’t feel quite so shut off from the world.

I don’t think anyone likes to exercise in winter, why would you go for a run when you can curl up on the sofa and watch a film? If you do then hands up to you for being so motivated. Myself and my sister have cracked down on an exercise routine that fits around our work lives and is good when its dark in the evenings. We only do two sessions a week, one being a class at the gym and the other an hour doing home workouts. I really recommend Lucy‘s youtube channel, if anyone is looking for a quick and easy way to incorporate exercise into their lives that costs nothing. Exercising can really help winter blues, personally it makes me feel much better about myself, more motivated and I don’t quite feel as bad when Christmas roles around and I dive into all the chocolate and pigs in blankets.

I’d love to know what others do to try and combat the winter blues this time of year.

*This post is sponsored but all opinions are my own

1. 20th November 2017 / 7:33 am

Definitely agree about the lighting! So difficult to take photos x

2. 18th November 2017 / 11:21 am

I love Autumn/Winter, so I don’t tend to suffer badly this time of year.
    Your photos are lovely too!

Tor xx That’s Peachy

3. Emma Drury
    16th November 2017 / 2:19 pm

I don’t work out the rest of the year so I think that’s out the window for me 🙈 I tend to find that staying busy helps me out a lot in winter, whether it’s at work or college or even blogging at home! Always keeps me motivated!

4. 16th November 2017 / 1:05 pm

I totally get what you mean about the lighting at this time of year, Chlo, it can be so frustrating! Good job for getting up much earlier than usual – that’s some definite dedication right there haha! Your photos in this post look stunning as well! xx

5. 15th November 2017 / 10:00 am

Exercise takes such a back seat in Winter because of motivation and the early darkness but it is super important to keep up some sort of routine as otherwise you end up consistently hibernating and making the SAD worse! Self-care is also important and all those pigs in blankets and chocolate will make you feel better too so don’t feel guilty about those 🙂

6. 15th November 2017 / 9:53 am

I have the Canon 700D as well and I love it, it’s such a great camera. I work 9-5 and start at 8.30 as well, so catching the natural daylight is extremely difficult. I have actually booked a couple of days off this month and next, just so I can stay on top of my blog! I also try and do as much as I can on the weekend. I did use studio lighting one evening and it worked amazingly well and looked just as great as natural light, so at least I have that option if I run out of time and/or natural light 🙂 xo

Char | http://www.charslittleblog.co.uk

7. 14th November 2017 / 11:08 pm

I really need to get out the house more but I never seem to find the time! I need to incorporate an exercise regime into my routine too but I can never find the motivation… wish I could!

8. Emma
    14th November 2017 / 4:37 pm

Ah you are so motivated doing your photography before work! I would find it hard to get out of bed. The light does suck in winter though! I have depression, which is worsened by the weather and light at this time of year so I feel for you – glad to hear you are still feeling motivated and able to cope. I’m with you on the exercise too – so hard to feel up to doing anything but snuggling on the sofa when it’s cold outside! x

9. Chloe
    14th November 2017 / 12:42 pm

Loved this post Chlo! I also love Lucy’s channels for work outs and find something as simple as leaving the house or doing a bit of exercise can put me in a much better mood for the day! 💕

10. 12th November 2017 / 1:05 pm

I wish I had your dedication for using natural light to capture your images! I’ve recently invested in a soft box because I can never take pictures when the sun is out because I’m always at work or I’m busy on the days when I’m not at work.

I have always loved winter more than summer, but I definitely know what you mean about the shorter days and how it can make you become less motivated because I’m definitely feeling it! I hope you manage to overcome the disorder as you slowly adjust to the change in season!

Jenny x

11. 9th November 2017 / 11:01 pm

I totally agree with you about the working out during the winter! I find it so much harder to motivate myself to work out in the winter. It’s one thing to be cold, but its another to sweat and be cold at the same time (ew…). I have been wanting to take more walks lately, as you mentioned you do yourself, for the same reason. Taking walks, especially with a nice hot coffee in hand, is one of the ways I find brings me so much peace!