Three Days In Budapest

At the beginning of September myself and Dom took a short trip to Budapest and here’s what we got up to…

Day 1

We flew to Budapest early on a Saturday morning from Birmingham airport which takes 2 hours and 45 minutes, landing us at 11:50am their time. The bus from the airport to the city centre was an easy ride and cheap as chips. Our airbnb was just one road away from the main street running through the city centre. When I booked the place I didn’t realise just how close it was to everything. We dropped our bags off and headed back out for some much needed food and to explore. After devouring some incredibly scrumptious burgers we went back to the airbnb for an unplanned nap. I wasn’t even the one that was tired but as soon as my head hit the pillow I was out, before I knew it 3 hours had passed and Dom was waking me up to insure I didn’t sleep through the rest of the evening.

We headed straight out to discover more of the city, we visited a bunch of pubs and bars and went to the biggest most famous one there is in Budapest called Szimpla Kertand. It did not disappoint and it’s something you definitely need to experience when in Buda. The only downside is the lighting at night makes it extremely hard to capture just how quirky and interesting it is. But this just encouraged me to sit back and enjoy my night without taking photos. We didn’t eat this night as the burger from earlier in the day filled us right up. Instead we stayed out drinking until we were ready to hit the sack.

St. Stephen’s Basilica, Three Days In Budapest

St. Stephen’s Basilica

Day 2

Our second day started as early as we could manage, we made plans to get a bus straight to the Széchenyi Thermal Bath. Our bus however did decide to break down half way which was in our favour as we took a walk through a stunning park that had a lot to see and was well worth it. The Baths are a relaxing and stunning place to visit and you could easily spend a whole day there but we wanted to see as many places as possible in our short stay. On the way back we found a lovely looking restaurant right in the middle of the city park on the waterfront. I had beef ragu tagliatelle and Dom had spaghetti carbonara, both dishes were absolutely incredible. We spent the rest of our afternoon sight seeing, we visited Heroes’ Square and then crossed the river and climbed Gellért Hill to see the Citadella and take in the breathtaking views from the top.

By this point we were knackered, we had a wander through the retail heart of the city, popped into Zara and then H&M so Dom could compare it to the one he works in, the H&M building is absolutely stunning, its full of character and bigger than you think inside. We then ate a traditional Hungarian Beef Goulash for dinner at a highly recommended street market not far from our airbnb. It’s a really cute lit up market, with lots of food choices and worth a visit in my opinion. We finished the night with watching some salsa dancers by a fountain and taking a ride on the Budapest Eye.

Three Days In Budapest, Széchenyi Thermal Bath

Széchenyi Thermal Bath

Széchenyi Thermal Bath, Three Days In Budapest

Three Days In Budapest

Day 3

Our last day in Buda we made sure was jam-packed. I started the morning off by making sure I had enough photos of the Airbnb in good lighting. We then ate breakfast down a hidden street we found which turned out to be a bad choice, it was the worst breakfast ever but the service was great and it wasn’t overly expensive so we just accepted what it was and got on with our day. On our walk to The Parliament building we stumbled across a couple of vintage shops. I absolutely fell in love with both of these but sadly walked out empty handed. If you’re a lover of vintage like myself be sure to take a look at Szputnyik and PSTR.

The Hungarian Parliament Building is a remarkable building, our plan was to do the tour inside but unfortunately it was close when we visited. It was still nice to wander around the grounds outside though. We then explored Fishermans Bastion which is set on Buda Castle Hill, it’s definitely my favourite building in Buda. It has so much character and detailing, an impressive one to capture for sure. We stopped for a cold drink in a cute outdoor café before continuing our walk along castle hill and seeing the palace. Personally I don’t think it’s as captivating as some of the other buildings. We skipped lunch on this particular day as we had eaten breakfast instead. For dinner we ate some very delicious chicken burgers with chips and then settled into an Irish bar with some cocktails for the rest of the evening.

Three Days In Budapest

Three Days In Budapest, Hungarian Parliament Building

Hungarian Parliament Building

Three Days In Budapest

Three Days In Budapest

Three Days In Budapest

Three Days In Budapest

Our flight was extremely early the next morning but thankful it was only a short one. I really enjoyed our stay in Budapest, three days was a perfect amount of time to do and see everything. If you’re planning a trip to Budapest and looking for a place to stay I’ve written up a review of our airbnb, it’s a place I really recommend staying as the location is very convenient.

1. 10th October 2018 / 5:34 pm

Wow Budapest looks beautiful! Looks like you had a wonderful time x

2. 6th October 2018 / 4:45 pm

Ahh I’m so jealous, I’ve always wanted to go to Budapest, it looks dreamy!

3. 6th October 2018 / 12:53 pm

Looks like you had a great trip! I’ve always wanted to go to the thermal baths there – they look incredible!

Nat x

4. Jenna
    5th October 2018 / 9:07 pm

Oh my gosh it looks like you had an amazing time! I have never really thought to travel to Budapest but your photos have changed my mind; it is definitely getting added to my travel bucket list 🙂 Thanks for sharing!
    -Jenna <3
    Follow me back? The Chic Cupcake

5. 5th October 2018 / 7:02 pm

Oh my god! It looks absolutely stunning! I definitely need to pack my bags and get myself on my travels x

Brooke | brookeclarke.com

6. 5th October 2018 / 6:02 pm

It sounds like you had an amazing trip, I’ve never even thought about going to Budapest before. After seeing your photos though I really want to take a trip there! x

7. Emma Drury
    4th October 2018 / 9:24 pm

Chlo your travel posts always make me so jealous! Your shots are stunning – I defo need to visit Budapest!

8. 4th October 2018 / 3:37 pm

I just love the buildings, they are beautiful!

9. 3rd October 2018 / 10:08 pm

Budapest is such a beautiful city that’s so full of culture! So happy you enjoyed your time there. I will look at your airbnb post as I’m always curious to know more about people’s experiences.

I think the afternoon nap you had upon arrival in the city was genius; will try that myself next time I travel. You did so much with your time and I love jam packed short city breaks like this!

Hanna x

10. 3rd October 2018 / 9:29 pm

Great post and lovely pictures. I’d love to go to Budapest!

Alice / sullialice.com

11. 3rd October 2018 / 9:23 pm

Wow! It looked like you had a great time in Budapest! I really want to go so badly. It looks so fairytale like and idyllic.
    Have you been to Prague? If you liked Buda, you’ll deffo like Prague.

Ellen,

12. 3rd October 2018 / 9:14 pm

Girl, it looked like you had such a good time. I am absolutely dying to go to Budapest, it seems so idyllic and fairytale like. I love the look of the parliament building and Fisherman’s Bastion. What was your fave bit?

Ellen,

13. 3rd October 2018 / 9:09 pm

This seems like such a neat place to visit and the buildings are just amazing to look at! Thanks for sharing your trip!

14. 3rd October 2018 / 8:53 pm

I’ve been thinking about planning a trip to Budapest so much lately and this just makes me want to even more! Looks like you had a fab time gal! xx

15. 3rd October 2018 / 8:42 pm

Budapest seems absolutely beautiful and has that European charm which I really love – I haven’t had the chance to visit yet but your post has encouraged me even more. Your photos are stunning too. Thanks for sharing!

16. 2nd October 2018 / 12:46 pm

This look like such a wonderful trip, Budapest is definitely on my list of places to visit! The architecture is stunning! xx

Danielle | Danielle Reine

17. 1st October 2018 / 1:01 pm

Budapest is definitely one of my very favourite places in the world! The Parliament building is just absolutely spectacular and we actually visited the Gellert Baths but it was just as amazing! I’m so glad you enjoyed your trip, Chlo! xx