Things I’m Decluttering In 2019

Things I'm Decluttering In 2019Throughout last year I became very interested in the whole minimalistic concept. I’ve never been a large consumer and I’ve always had clear outs every now and then but 2018 I really decluttered a whole chunk of my possessions. Moving house inspired myself and my family to sort through everything we owned (which was far too much) and only take to the new house the things we felt were worth keeping. A new year has inspired me to take this a step further and really embark on the minimalistic lifestyle. Here are the things I’m decluttering and how I’m keeping my possessions to a minimum in 2019.

Clothing –
Although I’ve sorted through my clothes a dozen of times I still find myself with so many items I’m not wearing. Theres a lot of items I find it hard to part with just in case I’ll need them one day. I know I most likely never will and really they should just go.

Books – Aside from two of my favourites I donate all my books to charity. I tend to only read a book once and definitely never more than twice so there’s really no need for me to hang on to them.

Makeup and Jewellery – I definitely don’t own a large amount of either but I know I still have so many products I hold on to that I know I’ll never use or wear. I need to remind myself I have my favourites and that’s all I need to keep.

Decorative Items – It’s so easy to fill every surface with candles, plants and little trinkets but it just makes everything look so much more cluttered. I’m really trying to keep these things minimalistic. I’d like to continue this throughout the year and put a ban on buying any more of these unnecessary items.

Shoes – I probably have roughly 20 pairs of shoes and I wear the same pair of black boots every single day (even in summer). This is one thing I haven’t got around to sorting yet but I know most of them could go. Putting this on my list to sort this year.

I have lots of ideas surrounding this topic so expect more from me in the coming weeks. Would you say you’re a minimalistic person or more of a hoarder?

1. 8th February 2019 / 5:09 pm

I love the idea of decluttering but i do hoard, especially books for me – i like to hold on to them, if i really didnt like or enjoy them though i do donate them x

Author
      20th February 2019 / 3:22 pm

It’s good to donate them! Don’t start with your books if you love them too much, start with something you’d find easier to declutter xx

2. 8th February 2019 / 8:45 am

Definitely not a hoarder, I hate clutter. I clear out my bedroom once a week, I feel like I’ve got barely anything but every week I find things that I could sell on eBay or Depop and make some extra money out of e.g. unused Christmas presents or things I’ve never got round to returning

I can’t wait to read more of your Marie Kondo style posts. I love minimalism and I’m always looking for ways that I can minimalise other aspects of my life other than just my space

Fran | http://www.franciscarockey.co.uk

Author
      20th February 2019 / 3:20 pm

Love that you’re already so minimalistic Fran! Theres always something lying around I want to get rid of 😂

I love creating this content so hopefully lots more to come! xx

3. 20th January 2019 / 6:53 pm

I need to declutter! I’m going to start with this list–my closet and shoes definitely need hoed out. People tend to give me things, and even if I don’t love them, I tend to keep them too long. Giving myself permission to get rid of the things that I don’t love, don’t use, and that don’t make me happy is the first step.

Author
      20th February 2019 / 3:19 pm

That’s a great step to take Tracy, I’m glad you’re going to give decluttering ago, it becomes really easy once you’ve done it a couple of times and you’ll find it really satisfying x

4. 20th January 2019 / 5:35 pm

L-o-v-e-d this! I’ve never been a big spender and I like to have a seasonal declutter but now I’m really working to be a bit more conscious about how making myself more of a minimalist! xx

Em // http://www.emilybecca.com

Author
      20th February 2019 / 3:18 pm

Thanks Em, that’s good that you regularly declutter, always feels so good afterwards x

5. Ariel
    20th January 2019 / 5:22 am

I’d definitely say I’m more of a hoarder I see the benefits of a minimalist lifestyle however, I’m way too attached to my things lol

Author
      20th February 2019 / 3:17 pm

Minimalism isn’t for everyone, it’s easy to get attached 😂 x

6. 20th January 2019 / 5:01 am

Oh I am definitely more of a hoarder, but am feeling very inspired to de clutter and pursue more of the minimalist mindset and lifestyle! This gave me lots of inspiration!!!

Author
      20th February 2019 / 3:15 pm

Thanks Haley, glad I could inspire x

7. 20th January 2019 / 4:36 am

I wouldn’t say I’m either. I do a good job of getting rid of things when necessary but I still have a lot of things. This is something that I would definitely like to be more mindful of throughout this year!

-Madi xo | http://everydaywithmadirae.com

Author
      20th February 2019 / 3:15 pm

It’s all about the balance, I think it’s important to not go too mad and throw away everything, but definitely worth sorting through unnecessary items x

Author
      20th February 2019 / 3:14 pm

That’s great to hear he’s into it! Clothes is always a good place to start, we all have too many x

8. Tren
    19th January 2019 / 6:26 pm

I started my minimalist journey last April. I purged from the list you included in this blog. But also, dead end relationships. I continue to live that life. It has felt so good and well needed.

Author
      20th February 2019 / 3:13 pm

Dead end Relationships is a good one! Glad you’re on to better things and feeling good x