Making A Conscious Effort To Spend Less

Making A Conscious Effort To Spend Less
At the start of the year I starting thinking about minimalism and the items I owned a whole lot more. In my last blog post I talked about the things I wanted to declutter even further this year. I’ve kinda dibbed in and out of the idea of a spending ban and in January although I wasn’t strict with myself and I didn’t write out a list of rules, mentally I said to myself I wanted to set myself the challenge.

For me it’s more about being aware of what I’m buying, how often and how much. I still think it’s important to purchase the items you want and to be able to treat yourself after all we don’t work our arses off our whole lives for nothing right? Everyone has priorities and for some this may be buying all the clothes and homeware you’re lusting over and for others like myself you might prioritise saving your money for travelling, experiences and a house. Not saying you can’t have it all though. Everyone will have their own opinion on this and their own ideas of what is a waste of money and what’s not to them.

I knew I had to save as much money as possible ready for my move to London in the summer so with that in mind I made a huge effort to cut down on my spending habits. I’m really pleased with how I did throughout January. Looking back at my bank account the majority of it is bills, fuel and necessities. Here’s how I’ve been doing it.

IDENTIFYING WHY IT WOULD BE A GOOD BUY

I think it’s important to really be using the items you’re purchasing. I know everyone has items in their wardrobe that still have tags on or items you totally regret buying.  If we just took a little bit more time to think about whether really need that item we’re currently lusting over, it’s important to think about how beneficial it will be, is it something we can wear time and time again and style in multiple ways? If not you should probably walk away.

TAKE A LOOK AT WHAT YOU HAVE

It’s time to start really appreciating the clothes you already own, shop your wardrobe instead of the the sales. If there’s items you haven’t worn in a while bring them right to the front of your wardrobe and spend some time styling them in a way you haven’t tried before. Take to Pinterest for inspiration and get creative.

If there’s an item you can’t part with but aren’t wearing get crafty with the scissors, cutting off the sleeves of a top or cropping it can really change it up. Other suggestions are tying a knot at the front or tearing rips in your jeans.

AVOID THE SHOPS

Honestly I completely avoided the shops last month, I spent my lunch breaks staying in and getting some reading done which might sound awful to some of you but made me feel so much better within myself. I managed to get through books a lot quicker while also being distracted from making any unnecessary purchases. There are so many other things to do other than shopping, I found myself going for walks, exploring new places and spending more time on my blog.

TRACKING MY SAVINGS

With the plan to move to the capital in summer I’m trying to save as much as physically possible before hand to take with me. Although I can’t avoid sending money on things like fuel, food and bills. I can be more conscious of what I’m spending on luxuries. It’s super handy to be able to track my income and outgoings on my phone, it definitely helps with managing money and the saving process.

I’m not going completely insane and setting strict rules. I’ve still been rewarding myself with little treats here and there and if I see a good bargain or something I really want I haven’t held back. I’ve been enjoying acting on these little changes, it’s also about the minimalistic journey, learning to live with a lot less.

1. 9th March 2019 / 10:52 pm

This is a great post for me right now! Trying to tighten our belts a bit! Great suggestions! We know we have some repairs to do on our house this year so we need to save up for it.

2. 22nd February 2019 / 11:27 am

I too have recently been bitten by the minimalist bug. Just started doing Konmari on the entire house.
    Never do we realize how much stuff we have! I’m loving this new change. I feel more calmer and better with lesser stuff around the house.
    Less stuff = less stuff to clean and take care off!!! 🙂

3. 21st February 2019 / 11:45 pm

These are great points and a nice reminders to keep people on track for their big picture goals.

4. 21st February 2019 / 7:30 pm

This was much needed. We are trying to make a conscious effort to cut back on spending in our household. This was a nice reminder to focus on if we truly need something vs. not needing it. Avoiding the shops is definitely something I need to do more!!

5. 21st February 2019 / 3:10 pm

Such great tips for those who are looking to spend more cautiously and save. I have always been a saver with a tight grasp on the purse strings but it is important to remember that we only live once and sometimes a nice treat is ok. Love your blog.

6. 21st February 2019 / 5:58 am

I can agree – “avoid the shops” and then have weeks where you have nothing to buy.
    It’s workable!

7. 21st February 2019 / 5:13 am

I just completed my first no-spend weekend! It’s so freeing to making a decision not to spend and stick to it. Like a big, cosmic vote of confidence that you do indeed have this under control. I have definitely had saving over spending on the mind and a deep need to own less stuff lately.

8. Sarah
    21st February 2019 / 5:06 am

Such awesome reminders that I REALLY need!!! Right now I’m a sucker for my kids toys because they are just so cool! But these ideas can help me in that area too haha!

9. 21st February 2019 / 4:21 am

I’m so happy to find that I’m already doing these! I think mindful shopping & spending is so important to be aware of. I would love to cut back even more this year, but I do think I’m on the right track!
    -Madi xo | http://www.everydaywithmadirae.com

10. 21st February 2019 / 3:52 am

Good post! I’m mid decluttering (gonna go look at your other post), but my BIGGEST realization is that I WASTE $ when I buy something I don’t wear/use, NOT when I give/donate something. HUGE mind-shift!! Love the post.

11. 21st February 2019 / 1:47 am

Thank you for this reminder. This is something that I have wanted to do for a long time. Track my spending and stop buying all the little things that really add up. Love the idea of reading instead of shopping. We really do spend a lot of time shopping which could be spent on bettering ourselves!

12. 20th February 2019 / 11:38 pm

These are very great tips to save money. What helps me the most is avoiding going to shops and also looking at what I already HAVE. I just can’t believe some stuff I actually have and forget that I have when I’m out shopping. Really irks me when I get home and I’m like… I already have that. Thanks!

13. 20th February 2019 / 3:13 pm

Love this post! I could totally relate to you… I’m getting married next year and saving money means cutting out shopping sprees… Still treating myself here and there but nothing crazy!

Author
      20th February 2019 / 3:34 pm

That’s great Marianna, sounds like you’re balancing it well. Congrats on getting married, wishing you a special day x

14. Gloria
    20th February 2019 / 3:05 pm

This is a great post ! I must say last year one of my goals was to be intentional with my spending and I saved so much more than I expected. I buy only what I need and at the same time my home is free if things I don’t need as I dropped them off at my local charity shop .

Author
      20th February 2019 / 3:11 pm

It’s such a great feeling to not have clutter around! Thanks for reading Gloria x

15. 17th February 2019 / 1:27 pm

It’s too easy not to be intentional with purchases, especially when we’re surrounded by deals and offers and discounts online. I’ve been tracking my spending for about a year now and it still shocks me how the ‘little’ spends all add up every month.

There’s so much self-control involved in saving but it really is worth it when the big holiday or the big purchase becomes something you don’t have to think twice or feel guilty about!

Gemma xx

Author
      20th February 2019 / 3:11 pm

Yes definitely so many people question where all their money has gone when they haven’t made any huge purchases but It’s all about the smaller ones adding up! Thanks for reading x

Author
      20th February 2019 / 3:10 pm

That’s great to hear Lizzie, thanks for reading x

16. 11th February 2019 / 5:36 pm

Love this post! I’m really good at saving money but I’m always really good at spending it ? I like the tip about looking at what you have, I’m so quick to buy new bits without looking at what I have that I could sell or restyle

Fran | http://www.franciscarockey.co.uk

Author
      20th February 2019 / 3:09 pm

Thanks Fran, It’s all about finding the balance I guess xx

17. 7th February 2019 / 4:47 pm

Loved this! I’ve been trying to focus on these things as well recently, especially tracking savings as I suck at that haha! But I’m definitely being more conscious about what I buy and why as I can all be a bit too spendy sometimes xx

Em // https://www.emilybecca.com

18. 5th February 2019 / 11:50 am

Good points! I also just finished writing a blog post on a similar subject. Sustainability and less consumption have been hot issues on my mind for few years now so this subject is very close to my heart. x

Teresa | outlandishblog.com

Author
      20th February 2019 / 3:07 pm

Aw that’s great, I’ll go have a read of yours now x